Striped Bass (^) and Chilean Sea Bass are not related.
Drum and Grouper are the better substitutes for recipes involving Chilean Sea Bass, which is not a bass at all, but a Marketing decision to rename the Patagonian Toothfish.
Sake bottles can be extremely beautiful:
Kikusui Junmai Ginjo – 6.95 (B), 35.00 (M), (tall, blue-ish bottle)
Taru sake, tastes like melon and has a creamy, smooth rice flavor
(^ ‘Ginjo sakes are defined by the polishing ratio of the rice used to make them. In order to qualify as a Ginjo sake, the rice used in the brewing process must have been polished down to 60% of its original volume’)
Kamotsuru Tokusei Gold – 15.95 (S), (short, dimpled bottle)
gold flakes inside, an elegant fragrance, rich, dry and a little sweet
MISO SAKE CHILEAN SEA BASS
2 thick pieces of Chilean Sea Bass
1/2 cup sake
2 tbsp white miso paste
dash soy sauce
2 tbsp ginger, grated
1/2 bunch cilantro
butter, slabs on top for cooking (we used 4!)
– peel and grate the ginger.
– marinate the fish in sake, salt & pepper for 20 minutes, turning over halfway through. place the sea bass in a baking dish over a layer of sliced limes. pour the leftover marinade over the fish.
– compile miso glaze by mixing together the miso paste, grated ginger, chopped cilantro, soy sauce, and more sake. pour over the fish.
– put some butter on it and stick it in the oven at 425 for 15-20 minutes (broil briefly).
HERBED RICE TIMBALES
1 1/2 cup rice, cooked (we used Basmati)
1/2 bunch cilantro
1/2 onion, chopped
water, as needed
– saute the onion in olive oil, then add the cilantro, some salt and pepper, and most of the cooked rice. stir. you want to have the right consistency for timbales to hold their form, so add oil/water/rice as needed. (we used one of the sake cups to shape the timbales).
‘FERMENTED’ RED BEANS
1/2 lb (8 oz) dried red beans
4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
water (follow directions on bean package)
– rinse, then soak dried beans overnight, or for at least 6 hours before cooking. drain. cook beans in fresh water for 1-1 1/2 hours, without lid for water to cook off.
– season halfway through with pressed fresh garlic, add apple cider vinegar to simulate ‘fermentation’, salt and pepper to taste (red beans provide an innate earthy flavor).
– serve with pickled garnishes
Dessert: BEAN CAKES WITH SAKE INFUSED CREAM